Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bye Bye FR60...We Had Some Good Times

A couple weeks ago my Garmin FR60 quit working after the battery died, which just so happened to be slightly out of the 1 year warranty date.  After a little internet research, it looks like that has been a pretty common occurrence for the FR60.  How convenient for Garmin :-(.  It's also kind of funny that it happened shortly after my relatively positive review of my running watch.

I'm not too bitter about the watch because it was basically the cheapest Garmin they make, and, to be honest, it served its purpose.  I've been running for the last couple weeks without tracking my mileage, and it's been a nice break.  Ultimately, tracking my mileage is important for me in regards to my marathon and ultramarathon training, so I decided to give another Garmin a try.  This time I bought the Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS running watch.



The Garmin Forerunner 10 is their new cheapest watch.  It doesn't have most of the crazy features many of their more expensive watches have (Garmin Forerunner 310XTGarmin Forerunner 910XTGarmin Forerunner 610), but it can give you your total distance, total time, mile/km splits, current pace, virtual pacer, auto-pause, and you can program a walk/run interval timer.  That's basically all that the watch does, but that's enough for me.  My biggest gripe about the watch is that you can only display two fields at once on the screen.  I'd really like to see time, distance, and pace, but you get what you pay for I guess, and I'm pretty sure that you can display three or four fields at once on all of their more expensive GPS watches; their other watches tend to be a bit bigger though.

I've only been out on two runs so far with the new watch, an 8-miler and a 5-miler, but I'm very pleased so far.  The screen display is far better than my FR60, which was often times very difficult to read while running.  Perhaps this could be seen as a 'glass half full' benefit of only being able to display two fields at once.

I'm really happy with the Garmin Connect website, and the tools and training aids they've added since I've last explored the site.  I normally keep my training log in an Excel sheet, but now I can create a training plan on my GarminConnect calendar where it automatically tracks my runs and displays my weekly and monthly totals when I plug in my watch.  The site also keeps track of your PR's for specific distances, longest runs, etc.  You also get to view a detailed map of your runs laid over a Bing or Google map, your elevation change, and a precise record of your pace throughout the run.

I plan to write a review of the watch in a couple months, after I've had sufficient testing with the watch, but at first glance I'm very optimistic that I'll enjoy my switch to the GPS side.  Now that I can record my mileage again, I'll start updating on my blog posts!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment