Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Who's a Better Training Partner...GPS or Another Runner?

After running for a few weeks without a watch to tell me how far I've gone, or how slow I'm going :-P, it's been very nice to have that little running companion again.  I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 10 for almost two weeks now, and I'm loving it.  I've reconnected with the Garmin Connect website, and I've started to take advantage of some of its features; like the training calendar, tracking other runners, and plotting routes on Google or Bing maps.

I really feel like I'm training again, and I managed to log ~29 miles last week.  I've been running with a guy I met a few weeks ago from the UK, but, unfortunately, he's quite a bit slower than I am.  It's nice to have someone to run with here, but he's easily one to one-and-a-half minutes per mile off my normal pace.  I think the slower pace has been good for me in building my endurance for long running; however, I'm at a point where I just want to run my own pace for a change.  I'm not sure if he "broke up" with me, or if he was really  tired of running in the mornings, but he told me that he was switching to running in the evenings.  We won't be running together anymore, but perhaps we'll meet up for a weekend run every  now and then.

My brother has been sticking to the training plan I sent him, and he sounds extremely excited for his first marathon in November.  I can't even describe how cool of an experience I think this will be!  I hope that the Grand Ridge Trail Race, first marathon for him and first 50 Km for me, breaks us down to nothing, and we manage to tear through the walls and finish both of our respective races.  I can already envision sitting at the finish line, completely depleted, but beaming with accomplishment and seeing the same look on his face.  This will be a great adventure to share.

Training Summary for Last Week:

Total Mileage:            28.94 miles
Total Time:                4:47:00
Average Pace:           9:55/mi
Total Elevation Gain:  1,778 ft

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment