Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Change of Plans

The last couple of weeks have been pretty exciting.  We're having another baby!  I'm totally stoked to have another little person running around the house, or, at least for the first few months, eating, sleeping, and crying.  We'll be heading back to the U.S. to have the baby, so this kind of throws a wrench in my plan to run the Bangelore 50 km in November.  I guess I'll just have to quit running and writing about it.

Ha ha.  Just kidding.  I found another race in Washington, the Grand Ridge 50 km.  I've got some more awesome news too.  Since the GR50K is near my hometown, and they also offer a marathon, halfmarathon, and 5-mile run, I talked my brother into running his first marathon there with me.  He asked me to send him a training plan and some tips on running, and he dove head first into training.

The Grand Ridge Trail Run course is a halfmarathon loop that the marathoners will do twice, and the 50K'ers will do the halfmarathon loop twice plus a separate 5-mile loop at the end.  I'm hoping that my brother and I will finish relatively close together, at least within an hour or so of each other.

We should get back to the States a month or so before the race, so I may even get to go on a couple runs with my brother before I get to see him in race-mode.  I've definitely been missing family here in India, and having the opportunity to go home for the holidays, have a baby, and run my first ultramarathon with my brother running his first marathon sounds absolutely amazing!

This is a bit of a shift in topics, but I wanted to post some pictures of the local running in India.  There is a park I regularly run at that has tons of peacocks roaming the grounds.  It's been pretty cool to find my way around some new places, and I'm hoping to get in on some long runs with the Hyderabad Runners.

4 or 5 peacocks wandering around in the grass

A peacock checking out the runners
A section of stairs winding up through the rocks

Who knew peacocks could fly with that giant tail?
This guy wanted to race














Happy Running!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on Number Two coming along!!

    Watch out for the peacocks. Mating season starts soon and the males get crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thanks for the advice Stephanie!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on #2, David! Looks like you're going to have a great fall. Also - kudos for talking your brother into his first full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenn! I'm really excited about it all. I can't wait to see how my brother does on the run. A trail run for a first marathon could be hard, but I think he'll be okay. He's tough :-)

      Delete