Monday, March 18, 2013

My First Solid Week

Like I said before, it's been difficult to find a rhythm that works for me in our new life.  Last week I was able to get in some solid runs, and I'm already starting to feel like my old self again.  It wasn't a mileage busting week or anything like that, but I was consistent with getting my workouts in.  Right now, that's all I could hope for.  To be honest, I felt like I was at a tipping point as to whether I would make myself continue running religiously here, or I would convert back to my past life of recreational fitness with a little motivational burst every 6 months or so.

I'm happy to say that I'm back to running, and I've still got my eye on an ultra.  It's definitely going to take some work and planning on my part to dedicate enough time to training for an ultramarathon, but I'm already beginning to put the pieces together.

One helpful tool in finding the motivation to keep running has been running books.  Over a year ago I read 'Born to Run,' 'Once a Runner,' 'Running on Empty,' 'Ultramarathon Man,' and several more books, but, ultimately, that is what changed my life.  After reading about other people accomplishing some amazing physical feats, I decided that I was going to do something amazing too.  I went back to what started it all and I'm currently reading a book by Adharanand Finn, 'Running With the Kenyans.'  I think I've connected with this book because I think I share some commonalities with the author.  He sites 'Born to Run' several times, and he also gives his saga of ditching his shoes and trying barefoot running just like me and most everyone else that read it.  The thing I love most about the book is the author's courage to pursue a dream.  To be a moderately well-off European man with a family, and move to Kenya to turn himself into an athlete.  Risking failure simply to try something new is such a bold statement in life.

I still hope that this is only the beginning of my 'running story.'  Slowly but surely, I'll continue racking up the miles and working toward clearing my next big hurdle.  Completing an ultramarathon.

Training Summary:

Monday:       5.12km; 29:40; avg. pace 5:48/km
Tuesday:       5.09km; 29:10; avg. pace 5:44/km
Wednesday:  5.10km; 29:02; avg. pace 5:42/km
Thursday:      Off
Friday:          3km rowing
Saturday:      Off
Sunday:        Off

(Running Only)
Total Km:         15.31km
Total Time:       1:27:52
Average Pace:  5:44 per km

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment