Monday, October 1, 2012

Guest Blogger

David asked me if I'd do a 'guest' blog post to share with the world my Warrior experience so here I am :-)  Legs here, David's wife, and this Saturday I completed my first ever organized exercise event!  David already talked about the course so I won't elaborate too much beyond this: it was dirty. fun. hard. easy. dry. wet. and on fire.  I was not expecting to swim as much as we did (due to a last minute course change from what was posted online!) and was definitely not expecting to swim in my clothes with heavy wet shoes that do NOT work like flippers as I had hoped.  The first nearly two miles was mostly running, then there were a few obstacles followed by a lot of swimming followed by a cargo net climb, jumping over fire, and crawling under barbed wire to the finish line.

I used to exercise because exercise makes you lose weight.  But after a lot of struggles with self confidence and an unhealthy relationship with food, I decided to do it different.  I did a lot of personal work, saw a counselor, confided in my husband, and changed how I viewed fitness.  Now I exercise for my health only.  I only do exercises I like doing and I stop if I'm not having fun.  I had heard of the Warrior Dashes before and it sounded like fun so I got two colleagues to sign up with me and then there we were...safety pinning our bibs to our shirts, tying ribbons in our hair, lacing our timing chips to our shoes, and exercising for fun!  It was awesome.  I think I definitely caught the running bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment