Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Did you call your pimp!?"

I had quite the morning 6-miler the other day.  I was trotting through Arlington around 6am on an easy run, relishing in my accomplishments last week when I was confronted by a passing homeless woman who cupped her hands around her mouth and yelled, "Did you call your pimp!?  Did you call your pimp!?"  I sort of laughed wondering if she was just completely crazy, or if she was posing a more philosophical question about my conformation to society living out the 'American Dream' in Yale, male, pale Arlington.

My contemplation didn't exactly last long as I found myself mid-flight after my shoe ever-so-slightly clipped the curb over which I was bounding.  I'm sure it was quite comical to any passers-by as I tucked and rolled down the sidewalk bouncing up to continue my run as if nothing happened.  I was quickly drawn out of my own head and my awareness was returned to my surroundings.  This completely turned my sort of boring run into a fun morning adventure.  It reminded me to enjoy the present journey rather than live in my head thinking about the future or the past.; the Marine Corps Marathon coming up at the end of the month has somewhat dominated my thoughts as of recent.

As far as last week's training went, it was phenomenal!  I set a new PR of 49:25 for a 6 mile tempo run, and I had an average pace of 9:17 for a 21.34 mile run last weekend.  My training last week, and the week prior, have really helped to build my confidence going into the marathon.  I'm starting my taper this week, and shooting for 34 miles followed by 20 miles the next week.  For now, I'm guessing I'll hit about 12 miles the week of the marathon, not counting the marathon itself of course :-)

Last Week's Training Summary:

Monday:       Off
Tuesday:       6 miles; 49:25; avg. pace 8:14/mi
Wednesday:  6.04 miles; 53:50; avg. pace 8:55/mi
Thursday:      2 miles; 18:48; avg. pace 9:24/mi
Friday:          Off
Saturday:      8 miles; 1:10:45; avg. pace 8:51/mi
Sunday:        21.34 miles; 3:18:03; avg. pace 9:17/mi

Total Mileage: 43.38 miles
Total Time: 6:30:51
Average Pace: 9:01

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment