Monday, July 23, 2012

Crazy Long Run Philosophy...


I have to warn you up front that most of this post will not be about running, but more about my trip down the rabbit hole on my most recent long run.  So, I was out on my long run last Saturday and I found myself contemplating the age-old question, "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"  My ultimate response to the question...No.

Here is the logic that came about from a 10-miler along the Potomac River.  We should start by defining a sound.  From a physical perspective, sound is a transfer of energy caused by some force, in this case a tree falling,  propagating through a medium, air, until it strikes something which causes it to stop.  In some cases, that something is the eardrum of an observer who can identify the energy as a "sound."  My argument against the tree making a "sound" is that, although the falling tree would certainly send a wave of energy through the air, without an observer capable of labeling the transfer of energy "sound" I don't believe that we can call that a sound.  It would simply be energy moving through the universe.

Maybe this isn't the funniest, or most exciting, bit of running babble, but I'm curious to hear about what other people think about while running.  Politics, religion, pick-up lines?  It seems to me like thoughts during a run are like one's thoughts during a dream.  Extremely vivid and clear in the moment, but difficult to grasp the following day.  This one made me chuckle a bit afterwards, so I thought I would jot it down before I filed it away forever.  If you've got any recent running nonsense, share your story before it disappears.

Training Summary Last Week:

Monday:      Off
Tuesday:      4.17 miles; 38:15; avg. pace 9:10/mile
Wednesday: 4.01 miles; 33:25; avg. pace 8:21/mile
Thursday:     4.02 miles; 35:30; avg. pace 8:50/mile
Friday:         Off
Saturday:     10 miles; 1:33:10; avg. pace 9:19/mile
Sunday:        6.04 miles; 58:30; avg. pace 9:41/mile

Total Mileage: 28.24 miles
Average Pace: 9:10/mile


Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment