Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Whole New Perspective

Although my foot has been doing better, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be running again soon, it's still very frustrating.  I was reading through the new blog posts on the running blogs I follow and it just made me want to go out for a run soooooo bad.

I was reading Wyatt Hornsby's The Running Man blog post today and he seems to be a bit frustrated too.  A bit funny that his complaints are about not seeing race success from 100+ miles per week training and my complaints are about not being able to run at all.   Fortunately for me, he gave me an amazing insight.  I can walk!  I've been so stuck on not being able to run, that I never even thought about walking for a workout.  Running Man mentioned that he'd been walking and hiking quite a bit to break up the monotony of so much running.

Walking doesn't cause any pain in my foot, so I threw Thumper in the backpack (figuratively) and took Bambi out for a power stroll.  I covered 3 miles in about 60 minutes, which equates to a 20:00 mile pace with a 30 pound pack.  That's not too shabby if you ask me!  Here's a pic of the turnaround point looking out at our nation's capital across the Potomac.


I think this hiking insight is exactly what I needed to get me through the rest of my recovery.  I'm sorry that it had to come from Wyatt's training troubles, but I'm sure happy to be back outside!  Thanks Wyatt!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment