Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Recovery From Extensor Tendonitis

*Make sure you read my Final Injury Update

It's been just over a week since I met with the podiatrist, and I can finally begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  My foot isn't completely better yet, but I've had some drastic improvement over the last couple days.  I've gotten into a routine of applying a heating pad for 20 minutes, massage for 15 minutes, then ice for 20 minutes.  I try to do this every morning, and it really seems to be helping.  I also apply heat or ice a couple times throughout the day depending on how I feel.  I did a couple of really light runs immediately following my appointment with the podiatrist, but I've decided that running, even short and slow, wasn't helping my injury.  I do still walk 2-4 miles per day because that doesn't cause any pain in my foot, and I need to remain somewhat active to avoid going crazy.  Just getting outside makes me feel like less of a couch potato after 3 weeks of limited or no running.  I've also tried to exercise regularly by riding a stationary bike or lifting weights.  It feels good to work my muscles, but working out in the gym or living room just doesn't compare to running outside.  I can't wait to be able to run again.  I'm really hoping that by next week my foot will be ready for another test run.  That will put me at about 4 weeks from the original injury.  I can't help but think that if I had completely quit running sooner I would be back to training for my marathon right now.  This has been a good lesson for me in listening to my body, and knowing when to run through pain and when to listen to the pain...and stop!

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Hi David. I am glad I came across your blog about this injury. I think I have the same thing, although the podiatrist just said i sprained my foot. Everything I read points to Extensor Tendonitis, and i'm at about 3 1/2 weeks since my injury. I've been biking and weight training, but today i tried to run for the first time since the injury and managed to do about a mile with some pain (and not all at once). I'm hoping to try and run again in a few days and maybe go further, but i was also training for a marathon and up to 13 miles, so i definitely am quite disappointed I won't be able to run it this year. :-( I hope you have fully recovered by now, as I see this was last June when you went through a similar situation. I also did have some pain on the top of my foot before it really became bad (i was doing intervals), so I too need to listen to my body, and maybe this was a lesson for me! Happy Running and thanks for posting your story!

    ReplyDelete