Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back to Running...Sort Of

Now that I'm back from Hawaii and our lives have returned to normal, I got back to my training plan.  Running went surprisingly well after taking a solid 10 days off from running completely.  I didn't accomplish any impressive mileage last week, but I managed to cover some ground.  My first day back I did 4 miles on a treadmill and it kind of sucked.  In fact, at one point I drifted over to the side of the treadmill as I was running and the edge of my foot caught the stationary part of the treadmill and the belt made this extremely loud screeching sound.  At least 5 people on elipticals and bikes turned around to glare at me.  I hate running inside.

Once I got back outside, running felt like second nature.  I put in another two 6-mile runs last week, neither of which were impressive times, but all of the familiar sights, sounds, and smells reminded me of how much I enjoy running.  I certainly require some motivation to get out the door on occasion, but it never fails that once my feet are monotonously plodding over the pavement my mind clears and I become overly aware of the things around me.  I think running connects me to the world, and brings me into the present moment more so than anything else I do.  It's almost like a meditative practice for me, and by the time I finish a run I've long forgotten why it was so hard to get out the door in the first place.

Weekly Running Summary:

Monday:       Off
Tuesday:       4 miles; 40:00; avg. pace 10:00/mi
Wednesday:  Off
Thursday:      6.01 miles; 56:25; avg. pace 9:23/mi
Friday:          6.04 miles; 57:00; avg. pace 9:26/mi
Saturday:      Off
Sunday:        Off

Total Mileage: 16.05 miles
Total Time: 2:33:25
Average Pace: 9:34/mi

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment